Getting to Charlotte
Note to self…Charlotte North Carolina is not 2 1/2 hours from Cary North Carolina its actually closer to 3 and the best time to figure that out is not 3 hours before you are due at an event. Luckily the sun was shining down on me and Siri guided me to my destination, arriving at a crisp 1:55. Just in time to walk in, grab a faculty badge and sit down at my table to review portfolios. And so it went through almost the entire weekend from one event to another until the late hours of the night. I had no idea what a jam packed weekend I was in for.
It was super cool getting to meet everyone, after months of preparation, and to finally put some names to faces. Our breakout session came late in Friday. It seemed like the hour went by too quickly and we just barely had a chance to scratch the surface. Luckily Deb, Vanessa and I had a handout that went into much more detail than we were able to cover. I believe the pdf version will be available online soon for members to download.
The WIN Group
We were finally able to announce our new WIN group which will be available to members soon. WIN of course stands for working illustrators network. If you are an illustrator and a member (or are considering becoming a member) of SCBWI than this group is for you. I will be writing more about the group in the weeks to come so stay tuned for some really great stuff you are not going to want to miss this.
I’ve got some crazy deadlines to catch up on this week so here are just a few more quick thoughts on the event before I sign off.
- Met some great new friends
- The accommodations were excellent
- Everyone was super friendly and super helpful
- The days were filled with activity starting at 7:30am and continuing until 10pm (and a little bit later for the the crew of friendly illustrators I had traded laughs with at the hotel bar)
- I am looking into starting a new art group here in the Raleigh area for those who are interested. (More on that at a later date)
- The Tom Carvell impression still kills at parties and events
- I’m very happy and thankful for being invited to participate as a faculty member this year and hope to see everyone again next year.
- Thank you so much to everyone who went out of their way to make me feel welcome and help me navigate my first ever SCBWI event.
Oh one more quick reminder. My adobe Illustrator class starts this week at Wake Tech so if you are interested in learning this program hop on over to the wake tech website and do what all the super cool kids are doing, sign up for my class. You only have one more day so hurry!!!!